Sarah, Hopefully

Friday, August 27, 2004

99

Woo woo... chillin´in the UAG computer lab for the second time today. I had a test in my first Spanish class today that I finished in 40 minutes, so I had over an hour to kick around before Conversation. First I went to the library, though, to see about getting a library card. Ugh. Very frustrating! Why do these people not understand the concept of an all-in-one card?? I went to the information desk and asked how to get a card. The lady told me to go upstairs where they would take two photos and give me my card. I went upstairs and told them I wanted a library card. The guy asked me if I had my photos. No... I thought they were supposed to take them there? He asked me what university I was from (he had a list.) I said I wasn´t from a university, I was here with a program. I then had to point out my name on this list. Finally he told me to go to the Photo Lab and get two photos and come back. He gave me the extremely useful directions of "down the stairs and to the left" when I asked him where, exactly, the photo lab is. Ugh. I left and cried a bit because it´s the end of the week and I´m tired and I just want to read a book in English that doesn´t use the word "hermeticism," damnit, and I am sick of feeling stupid every time I ask a question here. Geeze.

After that I came here to the computer lab. Nobody wrote me new e-mails since yesterday... que triste... but oh well. I wrote to Mr. Strecker and Mrs. Bushouse yesterday to tell them some of my adventures here in Mexico. I thought they might be interested. This computer is really annoying me because the mouse button barely works. That was off topic. Anyway.

I guess I am doing okay... only 99 days left here. 99 days until I come home! At least I am out of the triple-digits. Man, it took me a long time to spell "digits." I´m trying to stay optimistic. It´s easy to get down when I´m tired, like today. I just feel like I keep making mistakes... it´s frustrating. I want to talk to people. I want to use my Spanish. I want to have a chance to meet and talk to Mexican students. Instead... I don´t know. It´s like exchange students are kept in their own little bubble. We live with familes, but we don´t make close bonds with them because they know we are just going to leave in a few months. We work at agencies, but they don´t let us get too involved because we are just temporary volunteers. We take these classes, but they aren´t real university classes with Mexican students. They are full of Japanese, Korean, German, and British students-- other exchange students. They keep us together in this little bubble and it´s impossible to really feel like we belong here.

I´ve been trying to do something useful with all of my free time... thinking more about college applications, etc. I´ve been checking out the Azusa Pacific website to look more at deadlines and other majors I might consider. I am no longer so sure about Spanish, and if I do major in it I will probably wind up double-majoring in something else. They have both writing and English lit majors, which would be cool, maybe. I don´t know. I also looked at KU´s website to see what it takes to apply there... I need to have a backup or two this time around, I think. I may not have to deal with that stuff until I come home, though. I vaguely remember KU´s deadlines being later? I´m not sure.

I feel so greedy, always asking you guys to write me e-mails and stuff when I hardly have time to write y´all back, but I really do love hearing from you, even if it´s just talking about your day or your classes or what you ate for lunch. If you write me I promise I´ll try to send you a little note back. Send ´em to: shgarlow@yahoo.com

I love you and miss you all.

¡Que tengan un buen fin de semana!

4 Comments:

  • Ohh! Brits! Introduce me! ;) I love you, Sarah, and I can't wait to hear all about your adventures. I know we didn't do anything before you left, but I went to Joplin. I thought about you all day monday, hoping that you didn't get lost on the way to your house. I know you've probably had it with advice, but embrace it. Dive in head first - it doesn't seem so cold that way. Love you. Jenny

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:26 PM  

  • You can always go in undecided - it's the most popular major nationwide. ;)

    By Blogger Courtney, at 4:56 PM  

  • She read your letter in choir on Friday. It was good, everybody listened because you're that good of a letter writer. I think you'll be back in time for the Masterworks Concert. The altos are having it hard this year...eurgh...constant sharping and the Sharp Sopranos are still there. eeeeeee

    -Lauren

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 PM  

  • Hello, Sarah! Life in Oregon is fun. It's going well. I haven't made a new best friend or anything, but I've found some nice people that I can talk to, so that's good.
    I'm sorry the libraries in Mexico are annoying. But your story did make me laugh, so... at least one good thing came of it. I should e-mail Pam sometime and say hi. That would be fun.
    --William

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home