Sarah, Hopefully

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Hola!

Soy en Mexico! My roommate Katie and I found this little internet cafe as we were walking back from WalMart and the mall. Our house is close to everything: WalMart, CostCo, the mall, a movie theater with 23 screens. Our family is really nice, even if I don´t know any of their names. I was really tired when we got in last night and I don´t think I was paying sufficient attention. I think the girl who is my age is named Jeni, or they call her something that sounds like that.

Okay, so here´s my airport adventure: Got to the Guadalajara airport, was waiting in line to show them my visa and stuff, and this guy comes and tells me I need a red form. What? So he takes me to the side and hands me this form. At this point, I´m almost in tears. I was tired and I didn´t understand why I needed the dumb form, and the form was in Spanish and I was so flustered I didn´t know what to do. The guy came back, filled the form out for me, told me that I have to learn Spanish if I´m going to come to Mexico, and sends me back to the line. I get to the desk and the guy asks where my "big papers with my photo" are. What??? So he sends me to a DIFFERENT desk. By this time I really AM crying, which I guess must do the trick, because then everyone was really nice to me, offering me coffee and water and telling me not to worry. So it took me about an hour total to get through customs or whatever that was, but I finally got my bags and found my host father. Phew!

It´s kind of warm here. We don´t do anything with the university until tomorrow, I think, so today has just been hanging out, going to buy things I forgot, such as a toothbrush, and chillin´. We also bought some snacks. Good stuff.

Okay, this keyboard is annoying and I still need to write e-mails to my family, so that´s all for now. Love yáll, leave me notes!

4 Comments:

  • Yay! You made it! Churro says "ole!" He looks sad and hungry for a neener at the moment. Mama was sooooo happy once she received your email. She had been really quiet all day. Now maybe she'll perk up and watch Princess Diaries with me! I miss you, lots!

    By Blogger Julia, at 5:32 PM  

  • Aaaah, Sarah, yay! Man... here we were, all worrying about you in third world country gone from us forever limbo, and you're in the middle of Big City Central - the mall, WalMart, CostCo... man. So you have a roommate! Seems like they would've told you that earlier, but that's cool that they put you with someone in the same program (I'm assuming).

    Yay!

    By Blogger Courtney, at 8:37 PM  

  • Good luck south of the border, there, Sarah. I know you'll do fine. Oh, and always remember:

    A pat on the back is 12 inches from a kick in the rear.

    Always Believe,
    Thomas

    By Blogger Good Ol' WT, at 9:25 PM  

  • Just watched the original Princess Diaries with Mama and thought I'd remind you of this "classic line"

    LANA GOT CONED!

    LANA GOT CONED!

    boogaloo little sistah sistah. I'll report to you soon about how good the sequel is.

    By Blogger Julia, at 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home