Sarah, Hopefully

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

One week and two days

I have been here for a week and two days. Whee.

Last night I tried to make a list of things I enjoy about Mexico. I mean things I really look forward to about being here. Sadly, there were only 3 things on the list.
1. Lala juice
2. Having a TV in our room so I can watch Law and Order every weekday for two hours in a row
3. Mary, my Conversation class teacher.

Yeah. Sad, isn´t it? I´m not saying that I hate everything else. There are a lot of things that fall into the "Okay/Doesn´t but me/I don´t care" category, but only 3 things that really excite me. I feel like I have a serious problem... everyone else here is like, "I LOVE Mexico! This is so great, so fabulous, blah blah..." and they have tons of things they adore about being here. Most everyone else is going on this trip to "kind of near Puerto Vallarta" this weekend. It costs $1900 pesos to go, which is between $175 and $200. Katie kind of made me feel bad about not even looking at the information about it... but I was like, "You know, my family didn´t budget for me to go on a bunch of $200 trips, I don´t have the money right now, and I really don´t feel comfortable going. If I want to go on a trip, I´ll go later in the semester." Even if I´m not allowed to leave the house alone (which I doubt, especially if I´m going somewhere in the neighborhood), I´m fine with staying home and watching TV all weekend or something. I shouldn´t have to feel obligated to do whatever Katie does. It kind of irritated me that she expected me to go just so I wouldn´t be home alone. Whatever. If she´s that concerned for my wellbeing, she could stay home, or at least try to be more understanding.

I´m trying to be patient... this is the first week of classes. I think Martha, the program director, found me a good place to do service. I´m supposed to go visit it tomorrow or maybe next week. I´m going to wait another week or so and see if I feel any more enthusiastic about being here. Right now it´s like I´m doing everything because there´s nothing else to do... Unless I work up some genuine enthusiasm for something, I don´t really see the point of staying here for four months. I think that 3 or 4 weeks is a good amount of time to try something out. We´ll see. I´m not making any promises at this point.

The buses here are crazy. This morning Katie and I got one one that was crammed full of people. People in all the seats, filling the entire aisle... there are these bars overhead to hang on to, and handles on the backs of the seats. There have been a couple of times this week when we could barely get to the back of the bus and ring the bell thing to be let off at the right place, it was so crowded. The bus we take home is a different route than the one we take to school. The afterschool buses are PIMPED OUT. There is all this faux-fur trim on the rearview mirrors and stuff, and they´re painted this pimpalicious light blue on the inside. It is rather amusing.

Yesterday during the 20 minute break in the middle of my 4 hours of Spanish classes, I bought a bag of what I thought were cheese doritos. I found out after one bite, however, that I was wrong. Nacho Cheese is not good enough for the people here- these were Nacho Cheese and Jalapeño. Ew, ew, ew. At least that was better than the chips Katie got, which were these disgusting cheese things. Ugh. I tried one and wanted to spit it out. She put the remaining half of the bag on our bedside table at home "for a day of true desperation." I doubt I will ever be THAT desperate.

This is my last clean t-shirt (YEAH Free State SuperFan!), so today we are definitely going to do some laundry. Oh yeah- that was one of the items on my list of "I feel dumb:". That list had over 20 things on it. I feel dumb for having to do laundry so soon, when Katie apparently hasn´t worn hardly any of her clothes. Maybe she re-wears stuff or something. It gets so hot and sweaty here in the afternoons, though, that the thought of wearing the same jeans or something twice is kind of disgusting. No shorts allowed on campus... they have kind of weird rules. No long hair on guys, tennis shoes or dress sandals on girls. Although, I´ve seen lots of Mexican girls wearing miniskirts and tank tops. Why can´t we? I guess I shouldn´t complain. A truck full of Mexican guys had enough energy at 7:40 this morning to sing and blow kisses as they drove by us. Although, maybe that was for the Japanese girls next to us. You never know. I probably don´t want to be any more tempting than I already am. *shudder*

Time to go home and eat "la comida", which is supposed to be the biggest meal of the day. Super fun-fun, or something. :P

Again, thanks for all the comments and e-mails. If you want to write me privately, send me one at shgarlow@yahoo.com

Okay, the @ symbol here is on the letter Q. And you have to press "Alt Gr" to get it. Whatever that means.


5 Comments:

  • Alt Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr, baybah!

    By Blogger Courtney, at 2:17 PM  

  • Hehe, I remember alt grr :) It sounds like you are doing better, what is the service place you're assigned to?

    By Blogger Julia, at 3:33 PM  

  • I'm glad you're feeling better too. I think your list might grow over the next few weeks while you're there...we'll just see i suppose. :) Good luck Babe

    Murl

    By Blogger Spesearg, at 8:38 PM  

  • I'm glad that you've found at least a couple things that are good there. I'm super glad that you didn't actually leave Mexico like you said you wanted to do about 2 weeks ago I think it was. Do you ever have an opportunity to talk to your host family? Did you find out their names?

    By Blogger austen, at 4:13 PM  

  • sarah my dear i have found you! i now have a blog so you can love me too! i know you do, and i'm sorry things are tough for you right now ... keep your head high ... love you ...
    shwee

    By Blogger Ashley, at 10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home