Sarah, Hopefully

Wednesday, December 01, 2004

In America

Being home is... weird. Not like my time since coming home has exactly been what I expected... I never expected to be flying into Northwest Arkansas, for example, or spending my first 24 hours in the US in Southwest Missouri... or to go home for a day only to come back down here for a funeral. But you know... you take it as it comes. There's been lots of good food and I've taken a few naps. I think all of the stress from the last months is just catching up with me now. Every time I look in the mirror I think, "Man, I look exhausted." But hopefully that will improve with time as I sleep in my own bed.

Anyway... we got home Sunday night and I unpacked all of my stuff. I need to clean out my dresser... all of the clothes I left behind are stuffing the drawers, so I don't have space for any of the clothes I brought home, haha. I think I have a bunch of summer stuff taking up space that I can get rid of. I looked at my yearbook for the first time... very impressive! There is some GREAT photography in it. Way to go, William!!!

Monday I got up and went to FS for a while... chilled, saw Mr. Strecker, watched the two junior/senior choirs. I'm excited for the concert next week. After that I met up with Ashley at Chipotle (yum!) where we chilled for a while talking... then we went back to her apartment where I met her roommate, Todd, and we looked at old pictures and watched the Home Shopping Network and reminisced. It was good times. Then I went home and ate spaghetti for dinner, yum, and edited my final college essay and submitted all of my college applications (at last!) and had a phone interview with Biola. Phew! Busy day. Then I did some packing and went to sleep.

Yesterday my brother got to our house in the morning, and about an hour later we hit the road... it only takes about 3 hours to get down here, so it wasn't half bad. Lots of good food here at my Aunt's house... I took a nap in the afternoon because I am such a mess :) and then got up and got ready for the visitation.

The visitation was really nice... they had this DVD that my aunt made for my grandpa's 80th birthday party playing nonstop, with lots of pictures of him as a young'un and of the whole family. Tons of people came... friends, relatives, etc. My grandma was doing really well... at the end of the night after most people had left, she and I were standing by the casket and she was telling me about the suit Grandpa was wearing and about his wedding ring and things, and a couple of times she almost lost it... but she said she knew she was being silly and that she should go home and rest. It was weird to see him lying there... but not morbid or anything. It's just hard to imagine not having him around anymore, you know?

Right now we're all waiting around until it's time to go to the church for the lunch they are providing us. Julia should be here in a couple of minutes and I am really excited to see her. The church funeral service is at 3... my dad is doing a Eulogy, which he's been working on really hard for the last couple of days. I just hope my Grandma is happy with how everything turns out. After that is the graveside service, which should be really short. My cousin Amber's husband Jeremy is in charge of that one... I'm sure he's going to do a good job.

It's so weird. I thought I was still going to be in Mexico this week... right now all of my friends down there are getting out of class. And yet, here I am. Enjoying time with my family, eating a lot of really, really good food, mourning the loss of one of the most important men in my life. Quien lo iba a decir? I'm so glad to be here... even under these circumstances. It just FEELS like home, even though everything feels a little strange still. I wonder how long it will take for me to become Americanized again. Probably not long after my first visit to Target or Walmart, haha.

3 Comments:

  • Hee hee, I've decided "this is how we do it in America these days" will be my catch phrase over Christmas break with you! Muahahahaha! ELECTRIC BOOGALOO.

    Is that a silly, insensitive comment to leave on your post about grandpa? Heh...well "THIS IS HOW WE DO IT IN AMERICA THESE DAYS!"

    stupid insensitive Americanos!

    By Blogger Julia, at 10:57 PM  

  • I'm glad to see pictures of these people you've been hanging out with. That's exciting that you're home so early. I'll see you in less than two weeks! Wahoo!
    William

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 AM  

  • Yay yearbook! I'm sad our South Park photo didn't actually make it in though, that was hot ;P

    By Blogger Courtney, at 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home