Sarah, Hopefully

Monday, January 31, 2005

Sicky writes an entry

Sorry for the lack of updates... I've been doing a lot in the last week or so. I went to California last Thursday through Saturday, and I've been getting progressively sicker, which I don't think I really admitted to myself until yesterday.

So... California. Went to APU... aaaaaaaand it's officially off my list of possible colleges. As well as Biola, because I decided that the California life really isn't for me, and I never really got to talk to people at Biola, anyway. But yeah. Thursday I got out there about 2:00, and they were like... "Well, we have nothing for you to do until 5. See ya!" So basically I had 3 hours to wander around in an attempt to entertain myself. I realized that their campus was REALLY small. Like, really. But yeah... I spent the time wandering from bench to bench, sitting in this little prayer chapel, and calling various people on my cell phone. Good times.

Finally got checked in, had to pay an extra $4 so I could eat dinner on campus (what?), was assigned a room to stay in... me and this other girl, Maggie, were in the same room, so we ate dinner together. Then came time for the "Cougar Challenge." They gathered all 150+ prospective students, assigned us to teams of about 10-12, and made us run around for two hours playing games against one another. Fun times. My team came in 3rd, which was sort of surprising. I think we cheated a lot, but we didn't really care. So... by then it was only 10 o'clock California time, but it felt like midnight Kansas time to me, and I had gotten up at 6:30 or so, so I was exhausted and went to bed. Sort of. I don't know how many hours of sleep I really got on that hard dorm room floor. They weren't good ones, though.

Friday... Got up super early, went to breakfast, then went to this session where they had students tell us the "truth" about campus life. Suuuure. Then we got back into our groups from the night before and hung out. My group decided to go check out the other side of campus. We wound up at the big Events center just in time for chapel, which was actually pretty good... their student-led worship was decent, and they had a really good guest speaker. By that point it had started pouring rain outside, so it took me about an hour to get back across to the other side of campus and get to the music building to sign up for a choir audition.

This part of my story frustrates me. I signed up, I asked for a warm up room, and then I was informed that I wasn't allowed to have anyone accomany me when I sang. Um, what? That seems like a sort of important detail to include in the audition information they send you. Like, "Choose songs that can be sung without a piano accomanying you." I tried to warm up and get used to the idea, but the more I thought about it, the more upset I got. Do they expect all of their singers to have perfect pitch? Why wasn't I told? One of my songs could NOT be sung without the piano. I got so upset that I started crying. I called my mom and told her I wasn't going to audition. By that point there was no way I could sing, anyway, between being sick and crying so hard that I had a horrible coughing fit. I just left the music building and missed my audition time.

By that point I knew that APU wasn't the right school for me. It was pretty obvious from observing and talking to the students that there was a huge difference between the spiritual commitment and maturity of the faculty and that of the students. I got the impression that a lot of California students go to APU because it is a good school with an excellent, caring faculty and good programs. However, there is no requirement that students be Christian, and there is no sense of spiritual community between students, even ones living near one another in dorms. I talked to the girl I was staying with (who was hilarious, by the way), and a lot of what she and her friends said really confirmed what I suspected. I attended some of the other planned activities for that day, but not all of them. During the financial aid one, I realized that there is absolutely no way my family can afford $27,606 a year to send me to school, especially since that school will only give me $4000 in financial aid. I got really angry again, realizing that the college credits I earned in Mexico screwed me out of recieving at least twice that much, because I am no longer a "first time freshman." Even though I am totally qualified for a lot more aid than I would get. I hate feeling punished for taking time off to do what I needed to do, to mature, and to pursue something that I am passionate about. I think that should be rewarded, not punished. Don't you?

Anyway. Long weekend, little sleep, got up super early Saturday (5am California time) to take a really crowded flight to Denver (with a screaming baby across the aisle) and then a much less crowded flight to KC (during which I talked to an aging carpenter/hippie from California about a variety of topics, including pets, cars, and computers. Nice guy.)

So.... yeah. I'm really sick. I think that despite what Murl and his doctor said, he DID give me bronchitis. We'll see, though. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow morning. I'm tired of coughing all the time. This morning I had a job interview at Kohl's, but I'm really not sure how it went. They're doing a lot of interviews this week, and besides, they are only hiring part time- at the most, 30 hours, but they can only guarantee one 3.5 hour shift per week. That would stink, a lot. Hopefully I'll get more calls this week.

I slept all afternoon, even though I got a full night's sleep last night. Strange. And then this evening I baked some oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. They're okay... I only ate one and wasn't really paying attention, so I'm not sure how good they are.

I'm hoping to make a trip down to John Brown in the next couple of weeks. I don't know if I'd mentioned yet that they're back on my list of colleges... and, surprisingly enough, moving swiftly to the top. I'm sure Julia is laughing her head off right about now. ;) After my time at APU, though, I'm wondering if John Brown isn't the school by which I measure all others (and find them lacking...) Anyway... depending on how that visit goes, I may or may not make a trip down to Baylor. We'll see.

Ugh. My head aches, my throat hurts, and I'm inexplicably tired, considering how much sleep I've had in the last day or so. Sorry to those of you who wrote me emails that I have not responded to yet... as I said, the last week or so has been a little nutso. I still remember you, and I will write back soon, I promise!



4 Comments:

  • Yeah, I understand about measuring up to JBU. When I visited it the first time senior year I didn't think much about it...but every other school I visited after that I measured against it, whether I wanted to or not. Now of course I'm a firm believer in the school, but you have to judge for yourself :)

    By Blogger Julia, at 10:51 AM  

  • haha same thing happened with me and Georgia Tech

    I saw Aud-dogg at the dining hall today and she suggested you look at Atlanta Christian College, because Atlanta is where all the cool kids go to school, COUGH COUGH ;P

    GET BETTER!

    By Blogger Courtney, at 12:15 PM  

  • I'm sick too. Go us. College is screwing me over as well...I wish I had a strong way of dealing with it.

    -Lauren

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:52 PM  

  • hey - also, don't put too much into the "showing you our campus" and "what students really say" sections, they're usually crap. you gotta go with your own gut feeling about the place, and what the people you talk to on your own say - and remember, there's a whole lot of people going to one school, you're going to encounter a mix, some worth hanging out with and some not, so don't let one or two people influence your view of an entire community. college will only be as fun or as beneficial as you make it. =)

    By Blogger Courtney, at 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home