Sarah, Hopefully

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Back by popular demand!!

My oh-so-demanding public has insisted that I update... so I suppose I shall.

Nothing much to say... I've been trying to settle into the routine of working. I got my first paycheck last week, which was very nice. Just in time to go down to JBU! Hurrah. I feel pretty good about my decision to go there. I think it'll be better than any other choice I could have made. Weird how JBU was the completely WRONG school for me last year, and yet this year it's so right. Go figure.

Anyway... lots of hanging out. Julia was pretty busy, since I went down there in the middle of the week, but I go to see all of her friends, buy her some groceries at Wal-Mart, talk to some people, attend chapel a couple of times... good stuff. On Friday we drove to Tulsa and went to the mall there... didn't buy anything. Then we went to my grandma's house for her 80th birthday surprise party! I think she was a little dazed by all the people and noise and stuff, but she really seemed to enjoy it. Her friends were really nice, too.

I've been doing some tutoring lately... Cleo needs some serious math help. I don't mind-- I do still remember how to play with fractions, thank goodness. And it gets me some extra cash, which is always a good thing, especially when you have a poor college student boyfriend. ;) I'm trying to put as much of my paychecks into savings as I can. Don't exactly know what I'm saving for yet, but... oh well.

Yesterday was my first day of teaching spanish to the kids at Corpus Christi Elementary. Aaaaaah it was awful! Both me and the other girl working there were told that we'd have 1st and 2nd graders, which was weird. So I wound up with 2nd through 4th graders, while she had kindergarten and first graders. And... all of these kids did "spanish club" last semester. Meaning they already have done everything in the curriculum. So I had nothing new to teach them, and was completely unprepared. It was an hour of extremely hyper children and me feeling stupid. Great. I'm not very happy about the lack of information, but I guess I'm just going to have to think of a lot of extremely active games if I want to get anywhere with these kids. And you all know how much I love extremely active games! *fake smile* Ugh. I have a feeling that this will be one of the longest hours of my week...

My room is still only half put together. I think I'm going to work on it Friday... that's the plan, anyway. It's nice that I always have 3 day weekends. ;) Julia is coming home this weekend, and I'd like her to see it looking nice, instead of just... thrown together like it is now. And I think my mom wants to set up her new sewing machine here in the office, but my stuff is sort of in the way currently. Oops.

I bought the new Kelly Clarkson CD last week for the drive to JBU. It's pretty good, but you can tell she went through a nasty relationship/breakup, haha. I think my two favorite songs are "Since U Been Gone" (it's on the radio currently), and the last track- a live performance of "Beautiful Disaster." Good stuff.

That's it. Are you HAPPY NOW??? ;)

4 Comments:

  • I love that CD, Jen and I both have it

    By Blogger Courtney, at 8:12 PM  

  • Good to have an update. I didn't say anything, as what kind of hypocrite would I be had I done so?

    Anyhow, when I taught bibleschool I learned a few tricks for dealing with kids that age (who are little monsters let me tell you) so if you need some advice from a seasoned veteran, let a brotha know and I'll hook up the 411.

    Always Believe,
    Thomas

    By Blogger Good Ol' WT, at 9:15 PM  

  • Finally! ;) Hehe. It's okay, I only write once a week now anyways. I'm excited to see you and your spectacular new room this weekend!

    By Blogger Julia, at 9:01 AM  

  • Whoa, you've picked a college! That's awesome! I hope you like JBU! At least your big sis will be there for you to show you the way. I'm glad that you finally know what you're doing. That makes me glad. And I definitely feel for you on the teaching kids part. I had to teach VBS one summer... it was a nightmare. It got better, but I had to plan out some really elaborate activities to keep the kids from tearing the place apart. Good luck on that! See you over the break!
    William

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home